Cream of Mushroom Chicken is a classic dish that is known for its tender and juicy chicken smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy. It’s a versatile recipe that can be easily made on the stovetop, making it a perfect option for those hot summer days when you don’t want to turn on the oven. With just a few common ingredients, this recipe is incredibly easy to make and the flavor is simply phenomenal.
The Perfect Chicken Cut for Cream of Mushroom Chicken
To achieve the best results, it’s recommended to use thin-cut chicken breasts or chicken tenders for this recipe. These cuts of chicken cook up faster than regular split chicken breasts and are extra juicy and tender. However, if you only have regular chicken breasts, you can still use them, but keep in mind that the cook time will be longer than listed in the recipe.
Seasoning the Chicken for Maximum Flavor
Before cooking the chicken, it’s important to season it to enhance the flavor. A simple combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder works wonders in bringing out the savory taste of the chicken. The black pepper particularly complements the creamy mushroom gravy perfectly.
Browning the Chicken for Added Flavor
To add an extra layer of flavor and seal in the juices, it’s recommended to brown the chicken on both sides before adding the cream of mushroom soup. This step not only enhances the taste of the chicken but also creates a delicious caramelization that adds depth to the dish.
Simmering in Cream of Mushroom Soup
Once the chicken is browned, it’s time to pour in the cream of mushroom soup. The rich and creamy soup forms the base of the gravy, infusing the chicken with its delicious flavors. Stir the soup well to ensure that it coats the chicken evenly. Then, cover the skillet and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken is incredibly versatile when it comes to serving options. The mushroom gravy pairs perfectly with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. The creamy sauce is so delicious that you’ll want to savor every last drop. Some readers have even suggested adding frozen vegetables such as sliced mushrooms, green beans, or broccoli to make it a complete meal.
If you prefer, you can also bake the cream of mushroom chicken instead of cooking it on the stovetop. Simply follow the same steps of seasoning and browning the chicken, then transfer it to a baking dish. Pour the cream of mushroom soup over the chicken and bake it in a preheated oven until the chicken is cooked through.
Here’s a simple and quick recipe for Cream of Mushroom Chicken:
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless, skinless thin-cut chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10oz) cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on both sides until golden, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and spread it over the top.
- When the soup begins to bubble, cover the pan, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the Cream of Mushroom Chicken over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Note: If you prefer a thinner gravy, you can whisk in ¼-½ cup of milk or water.
Here’s the estimated nutritional information for Cream of Mushroom Chicken:
- Calories: 425
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 48g
Please note that the nutritional information provided is an estimate only. It’s always a good idea to consult the labels of the ingredients you use for more accurate results.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious and easy dinner recipes, here are a few suggestions:
- Cream of Mushroom Pork Chops BAKED: This recipe is similar to Cream of Mushroom Chicken but uses pork chops instead. It’s a fantastic option if you’re in the mood for a pork-based dish.
- Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole: This cheesy casserole is the perfect side dish to accompany your Cream of Mushroom Chicken. It’s creamy, flavorful, and packed with nutritious broccoli.
- Coconut Flan: If you’re craving a sweet treat after your meal, this Coconut Flan is a must-try. It’s a classic dessert with a tropical twist that will leave you wanting more.