Marshmallow cookies with melted chocolate bits are a crowd-pleaser for all ages. These chewy biscuits are flavoured with sweet vanilla and go well with decadent chocolate. The greatest thing is that you can make them uniquely yours by choosing from a variety of chocolates.
In this article, we’ll show you how to create marshmallow cookies that melt in your mouth, whether you use semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, or chocolate chips. Okay, so let’s begin!
Overview of Marshmallow Cookies
Before diving into the recipe, let’s first discuss what defines marshmallow cookies.
- They have a fluffy, cake-like texture thanks to the combination of flour, butter, corn syrup, eggs, and vanilla.
- The addition of marshmallows gives them their signature chewy texture.
- Chocolate chunks mixed throughout the dough add pockets of rich, chocolatey flavor.
- They are soft right out of the oven, almost like eating a cloud!
- Their sweet flavor and pillowy softness makes them a hit with kids.
- They also make thoughtful homemade gifts for birthdays, holidays, bake sales, and care packages.
Now that your mouth is watering, let’s look at the simple ingredients you’ll need.
- Butter – 1 cup, softened
- Granulated sugar – 1⁄2 cup
- Light brown sugar – 1⁄2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Eggs – 2 large
- All-purpose flour – 13⁄4 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1⁄4 tsp
- Mini marshmallows – 1 cup
- Chocolate (semi-sweet, milk, white, or chocolate chips) – 1 cup, chopped
That’s all you need for irresistible marshmallow cookies!
Here is a simple step-by-step recipe to make perfect marshmallow cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fold in the mini marshmallows and your choice of chopped chocolate.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your marshmallow chocolate chunk cookies! Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Types of Chocolate to Use
One of the great things about this cookie recipe is that you can customize the chocolate to suit your tastes. Here are some of the best options to mix in:
- Semi-sweet chocolate – This gives the traditional rich chocolate flavor people expect in cookies. Chop up a bar or use chocolate chunks.
- Milk chocolate – For a creamier, sweeter chocolate taste. Milk chocolate chunks work well.
- White chocolate – White chocolate is an unexpected twist and gives these cookies a lighter, sweet flavor. Use chunks or chopped bars.
- Chocolate chips – The classic choice for convenience – semisweet, milk or white chips all work great.
- Combo – You can also use a combo, like semi-sweet and milk chocolate chunks together.
No matter which you choose, the chocolate will melt in your mouth and take these cookies over the top!
Handy Tips for Making Marshmallow Cookies
Follow these tips for perfect marshmallow cookies every time:
- Use room temperature butter for easier creaming.
- Don’t overmix the batter – just until the flour is incorporated. This prevents over-toughness.
- Use an ice cream scoop for evenly sized cookies.
- Place them at least 2 inches apart on the pans so they spread out while baking.
- Take them out when the edges look lightly browned. The centers will still look underbaked.
- Let cool completely before storing or else they’ll get soggy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature.
- Freeze dough balls on a baking sheet before storing in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Here are answers to some common marshmallow cookie questions:
1.What size chocolate should I use?
Either standard size chocolate chunks or smaller chips both work well. Go with whatever you prefer!
2.Can I use flavored chocolate like mint or dark chocolate?
Absolutely! Flavored chocolate chunks add a fun twist to these cookies.
3.What if I don’t have baking powder?
You can leave out the baking powder. The cookies will spread a little more but still taste great!
4.How long do the cookies stay fresh?
Stored in an airtight container, the cookies will stay fresh for 5-7 days at room temperature or up to 1 month in the freezer.
5.Can I make gluten free marshmallow cookies?
Yes, you can substitute the flour for an equal amount of your favorite gluten-free flour blend. The texture may vary slightly.
Enjoy Your Marshmallow Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
Now you’re ready to bake up the perfect batch of marshmallow cookies studded with your favorite type of chocolate! Whether you go for semi-sweet, milk, white or chips, this versatile recipe lets you customize them to your liking. Enjoy these soft, pillowy cookies for a chocolatey treat that both kids and adults adore.