Creamy cheesecake flavor meets sweet strawberries in these incredible strawberry cheesecake cookies. Bursting with fruity strawberry flavor and swirls of tangy cream cheese, they are a dream come true for cheesecake lovers!
The best part is you can make them with either fresh or frozen strawberries depending on the season. Read on for the easy recipe, helpful tips, and answers to common questions when making these irresistible strawberry cheesecake cookies.
An Overview of Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
Let’s first talk about what defines these amazing cookies:
- They have a delicious buttery cookie base that provides structure and crunch.
- Swirls and pockets of cream cheese baked into the cookies provide the signature cheesecake flavor.
- Fresh chopped strawberries or thawed frozen berries add juicy bites of sweet-tart fruit.
- A hint of lemon brightens up the flavors.
- The cream cheese filling and strawberry flavor complement each other perfectly.
- The cookies are soft and chewy when still warm from the oven.
- They make a gorgeous presentation with their bright pink color.
Now let’s look at how to make them at home with either fresh or frozen strawberries.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the cookie base:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cheesecake swirl:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice
For the strawberries:
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries or thawed and drained frozen strawberries
That’s the full ingredient list! Now let’s get into the instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamed. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and lemon juice until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking sheets. Top each with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
- Use a knife or toothpick to swirl the cream cheese and strawberries through the cookie dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden on the edges. Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Enjoy your fresh strawberry cheesecake cookies! Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Tips for Making Perfect Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
Follow these handy tips:
- Use full-fat cream cheese for optimal flavor and texture.
- Let the cream cheese filling soften to room temperature before mixing.
- Gently fold the strawberries so they don’t break down too much. Keep nice chunks.
- Use smaller fresh strawberries or chop larger ones into bitesized pieces.
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw first and drain well before mixing in.
- Add a drop of pink or red food coloring to boost the color if needed.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking if the kitchen is warm.
- Underbake slightly so the centers remain fudgy.
- Store the cookies in the fridge to keep the cream cheese filling fresh.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions:
- Can I use white chocolate chips instead of strawberries?
Yes! White chocolate chips make a delicious flavor swap.
- What other berries work in these?
Raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries are all great mixed into the filling.
- How long do the cookies stay fresh?
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, they’ll stay fresh for 3-4 days. Freeze for longer storage.
- Can I make the dough ahead of time?
Absolutely. Prepare the dough through step 4, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3 days before baking.
- Can I use a food processor to mix the dough?
Yes, you can mix the dough in a food processor to save time and effort.
Enjoy Your Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies!
Now you’re ready to bake these incredible strawberry cheesecake cookies at home. With their sweet strawberry swirls and rich cream cheese flavor, they make the ultimate cookie for cheesecake fans. Mix up a batch using fresh summer berries or convenient frozen strawberries any time. Enjoy!