Bring back memories of the grimace shake with this fun DIY deluxe grimace shake recipe. Get creative and make a colorful, healthy twist on this classic purple milkshake from McDonald’s.
A Nostalgic Treat with a Wild Twist
The original grimace shake was a signature menu item at McDonald’s in the 1990s. It got its name from the beloved McDonaldland character Grimace, and was known for its super thick, frosty purple color.
While you can’t get the grimace shake at McDonald’s anymore, this DIY deluxe grimace shake recipe lets you recreate it at home with a fun new spin. Instead of artificial color and flavor, it uses antioxidant-rich spirulina to naturally tint it a stunning royal purple.
Miriam Hahn of food blog Tasting Table dreamed up this ingenious concept. Her recipe swaps in spirulina, a superfood algae powder, along with frozen blueberries and raspberries to make a grimace shake that’s just as vibrant and delicious as the original, but with impressive health benefits.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Make Your Own
Want to get in on the purple milkshake magic? Here’s how to whip up this sensational shake for yourself:
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon spirulina powder
- 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup frozen raspberries
- Add ice cream, milk, spirulina and 1⁄4 cup blueberries to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining 1⁄4 cup blueberries and the raspberries. Blend again until fully combined and purple.
- Pour into a tall glass and garnish with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.
- Enjoy this nostalgic treat with a boost of antioxidants!
Fun Flavor Ideas to Make Your Own
The great thing about this shake recipe is you can customize it. Try these flavor ideas for your own DIY deluxe grimace shake:
- Add cocoa powder for a chocolatey flavor
- Use strawberries instead of raspberries
- Swirl in peanut butter or Nutella
- Top with coconut flakes, crushed Oreos, or granola
- Rim the glass with colored sugar or candy sprinkles
Let your imagination run wild! The color will stay purple thanks to the spirulina.
Impressive Health Benefits
While this shake is indulgent, the spirulina adds some legit health perks:
- Packed with antioxidants
- Great source of iron, protein, and vitamins
- May boost energy and endurance
- Contains phenolic acids that can help reduce inflammation
So you can feel a bit better about this splurge! It’s still a treat, but with nutritional benefits you won’t get from the original grimace shake recipe.
Bring Back Those Yummy Purple Memories
With its stunning purple color and delicious flavor combos, this deluxe grimace shake will transport you right back to the good old McDonald’s days.
Part nostalgic throwback, part innovative upgrade, it’s an epic milkshake you need to experience. Live your best Grimace life and enjoy!
Let me know if you give this fun shake recipe a try and how your custom purple creations turn out.
More Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Grimace shake made of?
The original Grimace Shake ingredients are a closely guarded secret! However, it was likely made with a vanilla soft serve base mixed with syrups and natural and artificial flavorings to create the signature color and flavor.
2. What does McDonald’s put in the Grimace shake?
While the exact components are unknown, it’s thought that the shake contains vanilla soft serve, vanilla and fruit syrups, milk or cream, thickening agents like guar gum, and artificial purple food coloring.
3. What is the Grimace shake flavor?
The predominant flavor is vanilla, with fruity accents. Customers describe it as creamy and sweet, with a richer, more indulgent taste than a regular vanilla shake.
4. How do you make a Grimace shake?
My recipe above replicates it as closely as possible! The key is starting with a high-quality vanilla ice cream, adding vanilla syrup for flavor, using milk for creaminess, and getting that vibrant royal purple color.