Dal fry, also known as frydal, is a well-known lentil-based Indian cuisine that is both delectable and simple to prepare. It is a commonly consumed dish in numerous Indian households and is frequently featured on the menus of Indian restaurants. This dish comprises of lentils that have been cooked and seasoned with a blend of spices including cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dried red chilli, garam masala, ginger, garlic, and onions. This article will provide instructions on preparing dal fry at home using arhar dal, also referred to as split pigeon peas, a popular lentil variety in India.
- 1 cup arhar dal (split pigeon peas)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 green chilies finely chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
The following ingredients will be used for tadka/seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chili
- ½ onion finely chopped
- A pinch of hing/asafetida(optional)
- Pressure Cooker – Kadhai/Pan
Instructions: How To Make Dal Fry Step By Step:
1. Rinse the arhar dal well with water and soak it for at least 30 minutes. Drain the water after soaking.
2. Take a pressure cooker and add the soaked arhar dal, three cups of water, ginger paste, salt to taste, turmeric powder and chopped green chilies (optional). Give it a good stir.
3. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and cook on high heat until you hear three whistles from it.
4. Turn off the heat once you hear three whistles from your pressure cooker and let it release all its steam naturally.
1. Heat oil or ghee in a kadhai/pan on medium flame until hot
2.Add cumin seeds,mustard seeds,and dried red chili to this pan
3.Allow these ingredients to splutter for around 20-30 seconds
4.Now add finely chopped onions to this pan
- Stir fry onions till they are golden brown in color
- Add hing/asafetida(optional)and mix well,
- Turn off heat immediately
Mixing everything together
- Once done remove your cooked dal from your pressure cooker into a bowl using an oven mitt as it will be very hot!
- Then pour over your onion tadka seasoning mix onto this cooked lentil mixture.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Sprinkle some garam masala over this dish for added flavor if desired.
Your Dal fry is ready! Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves along with steaming white rice or roti! Enjoy! Tips:
- Feel free to add more water to adjust the consistency of your Dal fry based on your preference.
- You can also use chili powder instead of green chilies for a spicier version.
- Don’t forget to add salt as it enhances the taste of the dish.
Dal fry is a simple yet delicious lentil dish that can be enjoyed by everyone, whether you are a vegetarian or not. It is packed with protein and essential nutrients, making it an ideal option for those who want to eat healthy food. Try making dal fry at home today and impress your family and friends with this classic Indian dish!