A perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies is a timeless dessert adored by many. However, imagine having access to a recipe that takes this classic treat to new heights- well it exists! Claire Saffitz’s famous chocolate chip cookie recipe is just that. This unique twist on the traditional method has quickly become a favorite among home bakers everywhere. Here in this article, we will dive into precisely what makes this recipe so special and why people swear by it time after time.
What Makes This Recipe So Special?
Claire Saffitz is a pastry chef and former Bon Appétit Test Kitchen host who is known for her meticulously tested and innovative dessert recipes. Her chocolate chip cookie recipe takes a unique approach by using a combination of flours, including bread flour and cake flour, resulting in a chewy yet tender texture. The use of both brown and white sugars, along with a mixture of melted butter and softened butter, creates a complex flavor profile. Adding high-quality chocolate chips or chunks and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt on top elevates this classic cookie to new heights.
Ingredients and Tools Required for the Recipe
Claire Saffitz’s chocolate chip cookies can only be made by having the necessary ingredients and tools. The recipe requires a precise combination of items that include the following:
- 1 ⅔ cups bread flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter (1 ¼ cups), at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top
In addition to these ingredients, you’ll also need the following tools:
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
In preparation for making these mouth-watering treats, take note of some crucial pre-bake tips. First off, let the butter attain room temperature beforehand so that it can amalgamate smoothly with the sugars. Secondarily, use superior-grade ingredients such as top-notch bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks and flaky sea salt to elevate flavor profile. And thirdly- if thicker cookies are your thing- cool the dough in the refrigerator for a minimum of sixty minutes before forming into balls and commencing baking.
- Effective cooking begins well before placing any dish into the oven. One critical step involved in achieving optimal results is warming up the oven prior to actually using it. To prepare for baking success, set your oven temperature at 350°F and complement this with parchment-lined trays for an effortless release experience.
- To prepare the dough precisely, in a mixing bowl of moderate size, combine bread flour, baking soda, baking powder along with some kosher salt and give it a good whisk.
- Incorporating the use of a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the softened butter with granulated sugar and light brown sugar until achieving a fluffy and lighter shade, typically around five minutes.
- Upon adding the eggs to the mixture, ensure that they are introduced one at a time and blended meticulously after each inclusion for optimal results.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks with a spatula.
- By using a cookie scoop or spoon, the dough can be conveniently portioned into balls and arranged on the baking sheets with an allowance of about two inches between each. This is to ensure that the cookies do not stick together and are allowed space for expansion during baking.
- Sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt on top of each cookie dough ball.
- If you want your cookies to be golden brown around the edges and firm in the middle, bake them for 12-15 minutes and switch the baking sheets roughly halfway through.
- After 5 minutes, remove the cookies from the baking pan to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here are some strategies and suggestions for making the best chocolate chip cookies:
- Use butter that has been allowed to come to room temperature for best results when creaming with sugars.
- Bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks and flaky sea salt are two examples of high-quality items to use.
- When making cookies, don’t overwork the dough after adding the dry ingredients.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour before dividing it into portions and baking it if you want thicker cookies.
- Find the chocolate that best suits your taste by trying a variety of brands.
If you’re a fan of the original cookie, you owe it to yourself to try Claire Saffitz’s version. These cookies are guaranteed to be a hit with their innovative blend of flours, sugars, and chocolate. If you follow these few guidelines, you should be able to bake delicious chocolate chip cookies every time.