Looking for a tasty, healthier snack? Then you need to try making fried plantain chips in an air fryer! These crispy, crunchy plantain chips are surprisingly easy to make at home and let you create fun flavored varieties to satisfy any craving.
Plantains may look like bananas, but they are actually a starchy fruit popular in Central American and Caribbean cuisine that is perfect for frying up into delightfully crispy chips. When sliced and air fried, the plantain slices transform into crave-worthy chips with a satisfying crunch using less oil than traditional frying.
Follow this simple plantain chips recipe to learn how to make these aromatic, golden fried plantain chips at home with just a few ingredients and appliances.
Benefits of Air Frying Plantain Chips
Air frying creates lighter, less oily plantain chips compared to deep frying. Here are some of the benefits of this cooking method:
- Healthier than traditional chips – Uses just 1-2 tsp oil to lightly coat slices
- Guilt-free crunchy snack – Has about 1/3 the calories and fat of deep fried chips
- Allows flavor experimentation – Easily toss slices in spices before air frying
- Simple and fast – Cooks up fresh, hot chips in just 15-20 mins
- 2-3 green plantains
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Desired seasonings
- Dips of choice (guacamole, salsa, hummus, etc.)
Equipment for Even Cooking
Having the right equipment ensures your plantain slices cook evenly into perfect crisp chips every time.
- Mandoline slicer – Cuts plantains into thin, uniform slices
- Rimmed baking sheet – Catches any juices that leach out
- Wire rack – Allows air circulation for crispy chips
- Air fryer
1. Slice the plantains
Peel the plantains. Using a mandoline slicer, slice diagonally into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick ovals. The thinner they are sliced, the crispier they will get.
2. Toss in oil and seasoning
In a bowl, drizzle 1-2 tsp oil over the slices and toss to evenly coat. Then add your desired seasonings and spices and toss again to distribute evenly.
Some tasty seasoning ideas:
- Chili powder and lime juice
- Smoked paprika and cumin
- Italian herbs
- Cinnamon sugar
- Chili lime seasoning
3. Arrange in air fryer
Place a single layer of slices on the wire rack set inside the air fryer basket. Be careful not to overcrowd.
4. Air fry until crispy
Air fry at 370°F for 15-20 mins, gently flipping slices halfway, until golden brown and crispy.
5. Drain and serve
Once finished cooking, remove racks and let chips cool on paper towels for 5 mins to absorb any excess oil. Enjoy your hot crispy plantain chips on their own or with a dip!
Flavor Ideas and Pairings
The great thing about plantain chips is you can customize the flavors easily:
- Chili lime – Chili powder, lime juice, salt, cumin
- Cinnamon sugar – Cinnamon, sugar, vanilla
- Italian – Oregano, basil, garlic powder, parsley
- Spicy – Smoked paprika, cayenne, onion powder
- Sweet and salty – Brown sugar, sea salt
Delicious dips to consider:
- Guacamole – For a creamy, fresh partner
- Salsa – Adds a zesty, tomatoey kick
- Hummus – A protein-packed, savory dip
- Tzatziki – Cool cucumber yogurt compliments spicy chips
- Queso – Ooey, cheesy dip is a crowd-pleaser
Get creative with your own seasonings and dip pairings!
Are air fried plantain chips healthy?
Yes, air fried plantain chips are much healthier than traditional fried chips or banana chips. They have fiber, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
What are plantain chips made of?
Simply sliced plantains! The slices are tossed in a small amount of oil then air fried until crispy and golden brown.
What makes plantain chips crispy?
Thinly slicing the plantains, air frying at a high temp, and letting them cool before eating helps achieve maximum crispiness.
Can you bake plantain chips?
Yes, you can bake sliced plantains in the oven instead of air frying. But air frying gives the most consistently crispy results.
Get ready to wow your tastebuds with some crave-worthy crispy fried plantain chips straight from your air fryer! Let me know your favorite seasoning combos in the comments.